Sunday, April 09, 2006

I don't understand something. I was listening on the radio to someone talking about the whole concept of gay marriage. Some people are for it and others are against it. I don't understand the arguments made by those against it. They say one of the big reasons is that it means that their own heterosexual marriages are less sacred.

I don't understand how what someone else does affects what I do. If I make a vow, does someone else making a similar vow lessen the vow I took? If the other person doesn't keep their vow, how is mine changed? If they do not keep their vow, does this release me from mine?

If I get divorced as a heterosexual, does this lessen the sanctity of every other marriage? If it does not, how does the choice of the sex of my partner lessen the sanctity of any other marriage?

The point I am getting at is that an external measurement based on what other people do has nothing to do with the sanctity of any act. The sanctity is about what is inside ourselves. The argument that someone else making a life choice affecting the sacredness our life choice makes no sense. I guess this is why I don't understand this argument.

I believe that anything we see as sacred is sacred because of the awe and love we feel. If we have true love and compassion we begin to see the world as sacred and that all choices have a place and plan. We learn to accept them. In this way, everything we do is sacred and we honor those things that others do as sacred because we understand the meaning it brings to them. If we have no love or are cut off from that great wisdom and love, we might attempt to create something in our own image and that always falls short.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scottage said...

I couldn't agree with you more. My sister was denied a position she had rightfully earned because she was getting married to a woman. She fought the case, all the way to the supreme court, and really was instrumental in extending rights to homosexuals. And why shouldn't those rights be extended? I think that if something is a basic human right, it's basic to everyone, regardless of sexual orientation.

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you. People see monsters in all the shadows... they fear loss of their own security if someone else also has it. They see the world as a pie that must be divided, rather than an ever abundant source of goodness for all.

If you really want to keep marriage intact, put people through training before they can get a marriage license, make divorce illegal and adultery a criminal offense.

Otherwise, just teach your children to be true to their word and the ones they love... and let the rest just be.

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home