Thursday, January 26, 2006

Competition to be Right

I read a lot of blogs and a lot of those are political. Everyone has an opinion and every is certain that the are right. One thing I haven't read in any blog, no matter what political side it's on is a willingness to actually discuss how we can come to place of agreement.

I would like to put out there: if you are writing a blog from a certain point of view, liberal or conservative, can you actually realize that not everyone is going to agree with you? Can you actually set aside the thought of the way things "ought to be" and that everyone "ought to agree with you because you are right" for just a moment and think about the larger issue. What is it we have in common? What about this issue polarizes us and how can we both--both of us with opposing viewpoints--actually get what it is we need.

I am tired of reading about how if people don't like the US they should stop complaining and move. Quite honestly, one of the beauties of the US is that we don't have to move, because we are free to speak. However our speech should not be considered the be all end all of what is and is not correct.

I wrote a bit about this earlier after reading Ken's post on the party system and the way it's been sold and how we are polarized. I'd love to create some discussion on an issue that's pertinent to the US--say the death penalty just to be different or abortion if no one goes for that--where people from different sides can say what it is that they hope for from their point of view and where they are not intent on convincing the other side that they are correct but rather at working towards a middle ground where everyone can be slightly unhappy but no one looses.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! It seems to me that the poeple that are so set in their ways (on both sides) are completely unwilling to actually discuss something. Oddly enough, both you and I have been given links on a right leaning blog called "Right Face" - we're listed in his "In the wrong" category with 3 or 4 other blogs. I made one political post that he happened to read (I rarely do), and you have the misfortune to be in favor of peace, so I guess that makes us in the wrong in his mind. And certainly wrong enough to warrant a link on his blog!!! Ha ha. I guess we can use it as an opportunity to spread more of that nasty peace business, and a little kindness, too.

In my experience, the righties are even more vehemently against anyone disagreeing with them, to the point of outright hatefulness. Since so many of them call themselves Christians, I think I'm going to start using that as a comeback - would a true follower of Jesus really advocate all this hatred? I don't know if they'll listen, but at least it puts the ball into their court.

I'm glad I found your blog, and look forward to reading more of your dangerous peaceful writing!!!

Cheers!

9:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think you are quite right about the competition to be right! It is a very strange ego-related thing that is absurd -- as if throwing rocks at someone helps others to see one's point of view.

You might be interested in Integral Politics, a conception that 'higher consciousness' is helpful in getting up to see the value of others' opinions. Just the act of better valuing others enriches our viewpoint and we come to see the importance of the range of opinions and viewpoints that are out there.

This is not to say that all viewpoints are equally valid. Quite the contrary!

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home