Monday, September 12, 2005

Cats and Peace

I have just gotten another cat. Normally I'd save such a post for my blog on my cats but this behavioral thing seems to make a point on creating peacefulness within ourselves.

This cat is very frightened. She's an adult. It took her the better part of two days to even eat. She still doesn't want anything to do with me. I admit, this is a bit of a let down for me as cats always like me, even if they hate everyone! However she is afraid and this has been a big change for her.

The part that I feel is important to note is that I've had other cats who were frightened of everything in new surroundings. I tend to adopt adult cats who need homes. It's after a week or two weeks (depending on the cat. This is a Siamese, so I'm allowing a month) they are fine. They are home. They've forgotten the trauma that brought them and they are home, demanding what they demand and being themselves. Gone are the shrinking violets. It's also interesting to me that there is typically very little settling in. It's not that they start by taking small steps. It's like they take one step, realize it's okay and then suddenly they're there.

I'm not sure that I'm advocating taking such action in all parts of our lives, but the part I want to point out is that when a cat let's it go, they let it go. Cats hold on to things for awhile, but when they are ready, they really let it go. It's over. We could all learn a bit from this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home