Sunday, August 28, 2005

Interpretation and misinterpretation

I have been having a discussion with a group of online friends about the concepts of evolution and creationism. There are some interesting points that I would like to share, none of which have anything to do with evolution or creationism. What I find interesting is are the things each of us reads into the posts of the others when perhaps the writer didn't intend to say that at all.

It's not that any of us are wrong or ignorant. In fact, I think the opposite is true. However we each have different values and different backgrounds. When it comes to the concepts of how the world was created, we all have very different systems of belief or unbelief. Therein lies my point. How often do we take offense at what someone else says without ever checking out if that was what the other person meant? We often think that because this word has a bad connotation to me that it should to everyone. This is not the case.

When we listen to others it becomes important to listen to what they are saying as much as how they are saying it. If we hear something that we are bothered by, it is important to clarify that that is what they meant. Some people are not that astute with words. Very often we drop into the emotion of hurt or anger at words that we hear and the things we infer. If we can stop that just for a moment and perhaps clarify the meaning behind the words, perhaps we can come to a greater level of understanding about what the other person is trying to say. We also have the added bonus of perhaps expounding on our point of view so that the other person continues to listen.

We all have so many words and buttons that can be pushed. Often the people around us seem to push those buttons the easiest as they know us the best. Listening and reacting little can be the hardest thing to do. However to create peace, in and around us, it is worth practicing this to see if perhaps we are the ones misinterpreting the words that we are hearing. I am not advocating avoiding feeling our feelings or avoiding having our own truth spoken, I am merely pointing out that perhaps we don't have to react so quickly.

So here perhaps is a wonderful place for this disclaimer. The words in my blog are my opinion only. If you have further questions or seek further enlightenment, there are many teachers out there who can help you. I do not propose to have all the answers. I am merely using this corner of cyberspace to speak the words that feel truthful to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home